Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Valencia, Grapefruit & Lime

Herbery

Blackberry - thornless!!!

Tangelo - my favourite

Build it and they will plant

Virgin beds

spuds
I thought I would give you an idea as to how we are set up and how big our garden is.
We have 7 citrus trees - all are mostly over 30 years old.  Some are not well at the moment but I'm fighting hard to bring them back from the brink - walk away from the light Valencia!!!
Personally I would have mixed it up a bit with a couple of apple trees and maybe a peach or necterine but I have been dealt this hand so I have to stick to it. 
The Grove as we like to call it doesn't take up much of our yard as I keep the trees trim, we also have a Box Gum Tree which is over 30ft tall, a 20ft tall white bottlebrush, a crepe myrtle which is about 3 years old and a young miniature peach tree which is yet to fruit.
The Veggie Patch consists of 4 raised brick beds about 6ft wide by 15ft long.  Each bed is filled with approx 1 metric tonne of organic garden soil and is so worm friendly that when I dig around in there I have to cordon off the area and use a paintbrush and a plastic fork in case I skewer one.
The Herbery is just off the back deck and is my nursery for baby veggies and herbs.  I use them fresh or I dry or freeze them to use out of season. All the herbs are in large pots as I had a bad experience with a common mint plant a few years ago - give that stuff an inch and it takes a mile.
Ok, well that's it.  Hope you enjoy my attempts at the A - Z.

Debs

3 comments:

  1. Don't forget your friendly neighbour...grow it and she will come....and eat it.Worse than the snails actually!

    ReplyDelete
  2. continuously i used to read smaller articles that as well
    clear their motive, and that is also happening with this
    post which I am reading here.

    Feel free to surf to my web site ... www.plurk.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete