A IS FOR ARBOR
Typically, I started my garden planning with a
place to sit & cogitate
I have always been enamoured with a cool leafy spot
to rest the weary bones after a hard day in the garden and what better time to
construct one than before the garden is built?
I had visions of a prolific passionfruit vine
winding its way around and over the top of the Arbor, the lush purple fruit
dangling enticingly through the gaps in vivid green leaves, a large wooden bench
with satin tasselled cushions, copious amounts of ice cold beverages and two
slaves waving fans over me to keep the midday heat at bay.
Alas the reality is an old rusted frame
hoisted up on a galvansied pipe structure that only affords shade on a cloudy
winter's morning. The passionfruit vine was eaten right down to the ground by a
caterpiller not once but 3 times!! The wooden bench (acquired from a council
clean up pile) was way too wide to fit under the Arbor so had to be placed next
to it. And the slaves? Well it's hard to get good help these days.
I do have copious amounts of ice cold beverages
however and believe me; I need them when I happen to glance over (from the
comfort of the air conditioned lounge) at the weed covered monstrosity. I can only hope that time and a strategically placed native climber will obliterate it from view.
A great start.
ReplyDeleteAnd I thought we were the only ones with a wannabee Arbor... Our backyard has been a state of progress for a couple of years now. The Arbor is up but we still need to secure it before the wind does a number on it and those luscious vines that we envisioned growing over it are still in the pots. You are not alone! I look forward to reading along...
ReplyDeleteThanks Pati
DeleteGlad we are not alone, I'm sure there are a few people out there with dreams that are progressing. I'd love to be able to use magic and just wave my wand and make my perfect garden .... I guess that would take the appreciation out of it. Love to hear more about your garden adventures.
Well my husband is actually the gardener and I wouldn't dare touch anything any it for fear it might die. You can see our Arbor in the background of the picture of my "C" post :-)
DeleteVery beautiful post!
ReplyDeleteKonstanz Silverbow
nothoughts2small.blogspot.com
A to Z Co-host
www.a-to-zchallenge.com