M IS FOR MULCH
I can't stress enough the
importance of mulch in my garden. The carpet around the fruit trees,
sugar cane & pea straw on the veggies and lucerne hay on the
herbs.
It is a home, shelter and
food for many beneficial organisms & insects. It creates a
balance in my garden, it becomes part of a natural cycle as the plant
materials break down to feed the living plants and their neighbouring
critters. It really is wondrous to watch & it's organic gardening
at its most fundamental.
When I plant potatoes
(spuds) I use the lasagne method. After a couple of weeks I like to
lift a corner of the mulch to see how the spuds are doing. Needless
to say they are nice and cosy in there alongside all these other
creatures who are busy chewing away at the composting materials and
creating fertiliser for them.
This was how I first
really understood how important it is. I have since read quite a bit
on organic and biodynamic gardening and permiculture. All of the
authors bang on about mulching but it's not until you actually see
how it breaks down and how much of a food source it is for your
plants and for the insects, worms and bacteria who also create
nutrients for your plants that you appreciate how important it really
is.
The other bonus is that
watering your plants is reduced as the mulch keeps the soil moist. I
have often come home from work on a stinking hot day and with
trepidation have opened the gate to the patch expecting devastation
and wilted plants only to see tranquillity and plants that are
standing tall.
No weeding either, most
weeds need bare soil to get a foot hold in a garden. Mulching
thickly is a great way to stop weeds from even thinking about
germinating. It also makes it easier to see if there is the odd
persistent weed.
The only negative that I
can think of is the mulch also creates a buffet banquet for the
birds. I usually net off the areas that I don't want the birds to
get into but to be honest I feel bad about it. They are part of the
chain too, I have been known to go in after a particularly active
blackbird and put all the mulch back onto the beds. Yes I swear, yes
I threaten but at the end of the day if Mr Blackbird has made a few
withdrawals he would also have made a few deposits – all is fair in
food and fertiliser.
Arrived here via the 'surprise me' button on the A-Z blog-hop. I shall be sharing this with my daughter, a new but very keen gardener who wants to keep things simple and natural!
ReplyDeleteSueH I refuse to go quietly!
Twitter - @Librarymaid
Thanks for visiting Sue.
DeleteIt certainly is a fantastic way to garden without all the heavy work.
(I like your blog, I'll be revisiting and reading your story)
I agree with you entirely. Back in the days of the seventies, we tried to live in harmony with the earth in Robe, S.A. I mulched my 1 acre vegetable with chook droppings and mulched hay and around the orchard trees in the courtyard with seaweed. I often wonder how much of it remains. Now in England, all sorts of birds take turns to toss the bark droppings off my raised beds. I could ring their little necks. Hehe.
ReplyDeletehttp://francene-wordstitcher.blogspot.com
Thanks Francene
ReplyDeleteIt certainly changed my life. I work full time and dont have a lot of time to devote to the garden. I need to be able to get similar results to a full time garden but without the amount of work.
I bet all that work you did still shows in the soil. It takes a longer than you think for the benefits to disappear.