Monday, April 30, 2012


Today is the last of the A - Z challenge blogs. I have had a lot of fun (considering how nervous I was to start with) and have met some lovely people along the way.   I'd like to thank all who visited and especially those who commented and are now following.  I will be blogging regularly about the grove, in fact I will try to blog at least twice a week so stay tuned to the work in progress.  Thanks Deb




Z IS FOR ZEALOT

I am a bit of a zealot when in comes to organic practices in my garden.

The only thing I am guilty of using that isn’t in the organic bible is weed killer.
I don’t use it on the food beds but I get so frustrated at the buggers everywhere else on the property that I resort to using glyphosate (whose commercial name by the way is zero).
 This is why I say I’m a bit of a zealot. It’s like when you write your car off and you tell everyone you had a bit of an accident. Or you haven’t slept for 18 hours and you are a bit tired. Can you be a bit of a zealot? 
The word is defined in the dictionary thus:
A person showing zeal
An excessively zealous person,  fanatic, devoted, diligent.
Hmmmm.  I can hardly claim fanatism or diligence if I'm poisoning weeds can I! Perhaps I should say that I feel strongly about using organic principals but I am going to poison the crap out of any weeds that dare set root in my yard? I could sit there for hours and pull them all out but to be honest I am not a spring chicken anymore and I work full time, so poison it is.  I'm a compromised zealot. A comzeal!
I went around the garden today digging up all the soft weeds without seeds and put them in my bucket for the starter for a compost tea. We have quite a lot of grasses seeding at the moment. I guess they are getting ready for winter, they should die back naturally soon but they have to have their last fling. I sprayed them nice and thick with weed killer (zero here, zero there, zero, zero, everywhere) so that they wont get time to set their seeds and in a couple of weeks I will cover them over with a really thick eucalypt mulch to stop germination of any seeds that I might have missed.
Has anyone noticed that weeds grow twice as fast as any normal plant? They have deep roots and if you try to pull them up the plant breaks off at ground level? They bolt to seed quicker than a cat can pounce on a mouse and they are so prolific they make rabbits look like they are on contraception. Why??? I swear that I weeded the gardens only 2 weeks ago and they already look like a carpet of weeds. Where do they come from and why are they in such large numbers? And who was it that said 1 weeks seeds = 1 years weeds?
I also harvested what I think may be my last batch of basil for the year. I have been lucky this year as my basil plants have gone off their heads and we have been inundated with the stuff. I have been making bruschetta and freezing and drying basil leaves galore and this afternoon I made up a batch of pesto for dinner.

Pesto
6 cups basil leaves
1 cup toasted pine nuts
4 cloves garlic
½ - ¾ cup olive oil
1 tablespoon lemon juice

Put everything in a blender and blend until well combined.
Serve mixed through hot pasta.
Will keep refrigerated for 14 days.










7 comments:

  1. Congrats Deb, you did it! A whole lot of humour and garden wisdom in a neat 26 post package. As the saying goes "Now we can all get some sleep".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For all the trepidation Jude, it wasn't as nerve wracking as I thought it would be. Thanks for your comments and thanks for sending me the A-Z link.
      I have enjoyed your blog too and will be following your writing with interest.

      Delete
  2. Deb, your writing is always fantastic and I followed your reasoning with interest. I guess in the old days they couldn't resort to Zero. They must have been in their gardens full-time. I understand your role of the comzeal. Our lives are too busy nowadays to devote time to the garden full time. I'll be following along with you as you garden in Australia--the place of my birth. I've lived in outer London for the past 20 years and really miss Australia, so your blogs will bring happy memories and send wafts of sunshine to the other side of the world.

    http://francene/wordstitcher.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Francene, I hope you are going to continue with your blog too as I will be checking in. You are right, we are so busy and there are some jobs that we just need to have a quick solution to. I will try to keep the Aussie flavour in there for you and I'll put up some photos of that incredibly blue sky we have here for you to enjoy.

      Delete
  3. Congratulations on making it to the end of the A-to-Z Challenge! Thanks for the recipe but what are pine nuts?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and to you Evalina, I have enjoyed reading your blog and am also following your stitching blogs. I thought Zoom Zoom might have been your theme for the last letter, he looks like an efficient assistant.

      I have stolen a description of pine nuts for you from the net.
      'Pine nuts are the edible seeds of pine trees. They are small elongated ivory-colored seeds from pine cones, measuring about 1/2 inch long. When raw, the seeds have a soft texture and a sweet, buttery flavor. They are often lightly toasted to bring out the flavor and to add a little crunch.'
      You could use sunflower seeds instead but the pine nuts add a texture and flavour all of their own.

      Delete
  4. I think I may have to resort to using a little weed killer this year. It's crazy how fast they grow as soon as I turn my back.

    Congratulations on finishing the challenge!

    ReplyDelete