H IS FOR HARVEST
Ever heard the story of the Red Hen? She was the chook that worked her bum off in her garden tilling, sowing, watering, weeding, harvesting and grinding her crop of wheat while a bunch of lazy animals sat around in the sun enjoying their leisure. She asks for help constantly but everyone turns away – Until …. it comes time to eat. They all line up for a free feed but she just looks at them, gives them the bird and eats it herself.
I feel a bit red hennish at the moment. I have a pretty good crop of potatoes and pumpkins. I have been slaving away after work each day tending to my garden and when everything was ready to pick I was asked (by a reasonably close friend) to sling a couple of kilos of spuds her way as she loves home grown potatoes.
I haven't seen her rock up with a spade or a pair of gloves and offer to help weed the garden nor has she offered to come over and help dig them up. No offer of watering while we were on holidays either.
I haven't flicked her the bird (or the potatoes) but I am a little peeved that she expects to reap what she hasn't sown and thinks that just because I have home grown veggies I am really anxious to give them away.
There are about 60 kilos of potatoes and probably 20 or so pumpkins they will all store well, that's not surplus that is just enough for us for the year.
Still, it makes me feel mean for not wanting to share (damn your manners training Mum)
I'm going to fight my feelings of guilt – there will be no potatoes for you!!
Nope, I didn't know the Red Hen story but I like it. Thank you for sharing. AS for potatoes - if there is no surplus I do not see a reason for giving them away!
ReplyDelete