Stories from a novice gardener in Sydney, Australia. Her surroundings, her successes, her stuff ups and her observations.
Tuesday, April 24, 2012
U IS FOR UNDER COVER OF DARKNESS
I am on an under cover mission under the cover of darkness.
The Crime: lettuce & spinach seedlings disappear overnight
bite marks on onion stalks
new fruit on tangerine with mastication marks
silver trails covering pumpkin patch
The Suspect: Everyone
It is just after 9pm on a balmy March evening. There had been a light shower of rain about 2 hours ago, conditions are perfect for an ambush.
I am armed with a torch, latex gloves, an ice cream container and a ¼ strength bottle of citronella spray.
As I make my way to garden bed number one I hear a scurrying noise that I am hoping is our resident blue tongue lizard running away and not a monster running to get into position to jump me. (never did get over my fear of the dark)
Ah ha!!!! Silver trails glittering in the moonlight, I follow them to one of my ripening pumpkins and
there they are …. SNAILS. Caught in the act of chewing through my hard grown pumpkin. They are thieves and vandals and the full force of the law (Mother Natures Law Act of 2012) will be thrown at them.
I have to work quickly here, they are startled by the torch light and are making ready to take off. I swoop down and snatch them from the pumpkin by the handful and throw them into the ice cream container. In just under 20 minutes I have half filled the container with snails of all sizes.
You have to keep the lid on here, it's crucial, as the snails will do a runner for freedom. You may think that these little fellas are slow but if you don't watch them they can disappear in an instant.
Then, the pièce de résistance, I spy a leopard slug. He is at least 8 cm long and he has a friend with him. Now I know that they supposedly predate on snails but these two are so busy chowing down on my cucumber plant that they don't even notice the sushi train of molluscs winding their way past them. And thank goodness I have the gloves on, giant slug slime is harder to remove from your person than “you know what” is from a baby blanket. It makes me sick picking them up with the gloves on – I would let them have the cucumber if it meant picking them up by uncovered hand. (just a digression here, did anyone ever see the scene in one of the Harry Potter movies where Ron's wand backfired and he started throwing up slugs? All I can say about that scene is that it was lucky I had a popcorn bucket handy … I was dry retching all through that scene)
So, to take stock; In under ½ an hour I have approx ¾ of a 2 litre ice cream container filled with snails and 15 giant slugs. Not bad. (note to self here, go and have a word with that lazy arse lizard and find out what the hell he's been doing all this time. Oh wait, he probably only eats the ones that have drunk the beer)
My preferred method of disposal is to throw the snails up onto our roof the next morning (my neighbour will have a whinge here as she suspects that I also throw them up on hers but the birds take them over there to eat them in peace) We have a flat iron roof, the snails are easily seen by any passing birds and are recycled back into the local food chain. I have a couple of Currawongs normally waiting up there for a meal most mornings, although I'm not sure how many of these ones they will be able to eat.
Next Morning
I open the lid and to my surprise there are 15 huge, fat slugs and about 30 snails. Wow, talk about an overnight massacre, these slugs have eaten almost every snail. Like I said, I was aware of their predation propensity toward snails but as they were munching out on the cucumber I assumed they were vegetarians. Perhaps snail goes well after a cucumber entree or maybe the plant is roughage to help all that protein along. My problem now is that the slugs will eat my veggies even if there are snails there for them.
I wont release them in my garden but I will let them go. After all they each ate 3 or 4 times their own body weight in garden enemy number 1 – that has to count for something.
So, I am on an under cover mission under the cover of darkness..........
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Riveting! Sadly I must turn you in to the
ReplyDeleteRSPCS and S. Oh yeah, that neighbour KNOWS you throw them on her roof.
Well, I never knew slugs attacked snails! :-o
ReplyDeleteI get annoyed when either of the slimy creatures run riot and destroy my plants. However, I'm loath to use chemicals as they would have a knock-on effect on the bird population.
I have been known, however, to pick snails off my plants and spread them on the bird-table....it may be cruel but it's nature; and the snails do have the option to get themselves out of sight before they be =come a blackbird's banquet!
Poo! Must've hit the 'publish' button before I was ready....
ReplyDeleteThanks for stopping by my blog, earlier, too!
SueH I refuse to go quietly!
Twitter - @Librarymaid
Hi Sue, I'm bursting to see what tomorrow brings with Z. Love the running story.
DeleteI feel that the only good snail is a dead snail, good on you for feeding the birds with your interlopers. Recycling at its premium
Very funny post. I used to throw the native white snails into the field. However, the made thier way back under the cover of waving grasses. Blog on!
ReplyDeletehttp://francene-wordstitcher.blogspot.com
Maybe snails are what wiped out parts of my garden, but I will not go out in the dark to find them. You are a better woman than I am. (smile) I just adopt the attitude of my friend who grew berries, "half for me and half for the critters."
ReplyDeleteHi Maryann, I am pretty scared of the dark, that's why I take the dog with me when I go out on a snail hunt. She barks at beasties and scares them away, the only problem is that she is black so if I dont have the torch shining on her when she comes back to me I nearly have a heart attack. Many a blood curdling scream has been heard from the veggie patch in the middle of the night.
Deleteget out the beer and put it out where they will find it in a shallow bowl. That will take care of them slimy things!
ReplyDeleteHi Emma, one for me, one for the slimy things.
Delete