J IS FOR JAM
Our blackberry vine was very generous this year, I picked about 15 kilos of blackberries and that was after the birds (who are supposed to be eating the insects I might add) had got under the netting and helped themselves.
I had been a champion blackberrier in my youth, a sheet of corrugated iron to avoid the cruel barbs, a big stick to scare off the snakes, a bucket for the spoils and I was the supplier of the raw materials for many a blackberry and apple pie or crumble. Then afterwards we would eat the odd blackberry tart while Mum would tend our scratches.
So when I saw an ad for a thornless blackberry plant in a gardening catalogue I thought all my birthdays had come at once.
So when I saw an ad for a thornless blackberry plant in a gardening catalogue I thought all my birthdays had come at once.
Because blackberry bushes are considered to be a noxious weed here in Australia the biggest problem was assuring our local council that I would not give it free rein and allow it to escape into the general population.
I planted ‘blackie’ against a wall in a contained bed and trained her to grow espalier style along 6 wire strands about 5 meters long. The end result is this years’ crop of 15 kilos. Wow!!! Each blackberry is about 3 – 4 cm long and is so juicy. The added bonus is the ease of picking and the lack of thorns and snakes.
So here I am with 15 bags of frozen blackberries, which would make about 1000 pies; as much as I would like to try, I don't think we can eat that many.
I reckon it has to be jam. Well not for all of them but a goodly portion.
I reckon it has to be jam. Well not for all of them but a goodly portion.
I have made jam before but not with berries and not in this quantity, I have added lemon juice to counter the sweetness of the sugar and to help it set and I have decided to leave the seeds in as they help with setting too. There is so much sugar I have about 3 kilos of berries and have to add 3 kilos of sugar. Trying not to spill or splash any is a bit of a challenge too, incentive is imagining how badly the juice will stain whatever it lands on in my lovely new kitchen.
I have just finished bottling and am the proud owner of 16 jars of home made blackberry jam. I’ve given it a road test on some toast and have declared it to be delicious.
Oh and before you ask – read HARVEST.
Yum! Yum! Love blackberries! My boys love blackberry cobbler and yes, they have to go pick them! Thornless blackberry bush sounds divine!
ReplyDelete