Friday, April 13, 2012


L IS FOR LASAGNE GARDENING

I cant remember where or when I first heard of lasagne gardening but whoever invented it gets my appreciation, admiration and adoration.

Basically it is just layering mulching materials. Firstly, you don't need to dig a garden bed or even dig up the grass in your lawn. You just put down some newspaper (I like to keep it really thick) overlapping it to the size you want your garden to be. Wet it down really well then put a thick layer of straw or leaves that you have run over with the lawn mower, then a layer of blood and bone and manure (fresh or composted), then compost, then mulch.  Keep layering until it reaches a height just above your knees. Leave that for about a month and it's ready to plant in. you can throw in any old seeds and they will grow fast and strong.
I have grown potatoes like that for years and I get big crops and big potatoes.  I have also grown peas and broad beans this way (adding garden lime) and have had big success. It's brilliant and it is a good way for the city farmer to have a healthy crop & healthy soil without a lot of hard work to prepare the ground. 

The green manure crop is part of this layering process. When the crop is ready I will cut it down and mulch over the top of it. The result will be lots of composted vegetation, lots of worms and lots of crops.

L IS ALSO FOR LIZARDS

We have a resident Blue Tongue Lizard. He is native to Australia and his primary prey are snails & slugs, so you can imagine how welcome he is to our garden. They are nocturnal mostly and the only way I can really know that he/she has been around is when I find a snail shell midden. Our lizard and I have only met the once. Both of us got the fright of our lives and ran fast in opposite directions. I'm a little ashamed of myself but I didn't recognise him until I was back inside the house and had time to think about what I had actually seen. I'm sure he told a similar story to his family over the dinner table that night. They look a bit on the scary side but they are relatively harmless unless you do something stupid, like pick them up. I have since tried to make his acquaintance but he isn't having a bar of it. I refrain from putting out food as I don't like making a wild animal reliant on non traditional food. His nest is under the house but it's way too low for me to crawl under there (that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it). Every now and again I hear the gentle tinkle of something sliding over the empty snail shells and can only presume that he has spotted me and does not wish to stick around. 

 
                                           

8 comments:

  1. Can you believe we are already at "L"? And now I know that Lasagna Gardening has got nothing to do with tomatos. Nice lizard pic.

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just found out about the lasagna gardening technique this year. It's a much easier way to get started for those of us who are a little less than enthusiastic. It's nice to read a success story with it too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Danielle
      I love it!! It is much easier and if you keep it going, even the hardest clay soil will yeild.

      Delete
  3. That lizard is so cool! We're too far north for lizards, sadly. We had geckos when we lived in Texas, but that's about the extent of it. We do have toads though. I have a big fat one that lives under our doorstep.

    Just stopping by from the A to Z challenge. Good luck with the rest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the visit. If you think he's great google 'frill necked lizard'. They are one of our most cool lizards and are quite fierce.

      Delete
  4. What a cool-looking lizard! I enjoyed learning about the lasagna gardening - I'm going to have to share that with my husband. Our ground is so hard here - this may help!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pati
      Yeah, blue tongues are pretty. Check out frill necked lizards on google - they are pretty good too.
      I highly recommend lasagne gardening - especially on hard ground. If you have a look at our photos our garden beds are raised (bricks) but the ground they are on is heavy clay. I just lined the beds with newspaper and went from there. Let me know how he goes and if you want to chat about it just email me.

      Delete