V IS FOR VEGETARIANS
As a child, if my mother cooked vegetable soup we would all groan and join with my father in a plea for meat. In those days to eat a plate of just veggies was not normal, seriously, you'd be taken to the doctor for a check up. I often think about how on earth a vegetarian coped with such a philistine view of the world and how on earth I ever crawled away from that mindset.
I remember lunch at a relatives house a few years ago where one of the guests was a vegetarian. We were having an informal barbecue and there were steaks and sausages on the hotplate sizzling away.
I'm sure this isn't just an Aussie thing – we have what we call a byo (bring your own) usually this means alcohol but occasionally you are asked to bring your own meat as well. This is a perfectly acceptable way to have a few friends or family over for an informal get together and as most of us are struggling at some stage or another in our lives it is more about seeing each other than putting on a gourmet spread. The host supplies the venue and the extras like salads, potatoes, bread etc. Or if the host supplies the meal then the guests bring salads or desserts. (actually now that I'm writing this down it's more complicated that I realised. Next year I may think about A-Zing about Australian cultures and customs)
We all turned up with something as the hosts were supplying the meat, I had brought a couple of vegetarian friendly dips and while the meat was cooking I was talking to the guest about her recent holiday. Lunch was served, on the table was a big plate of meat another of bread and a bowl of green salad, that was it!
No consideration for this person and her requirements/beliefs/preferences was made, the other guests had only brought alcohol and bread.
Our guest, perhaps thinking that as we all knew she didn't eat meat and there would be a selection of alternatives, had brought two desserts.
Seeing her hesitation everyone suddenly remembered there was a vegetarian in our presence and responded not with contrition and a rush to the fridge to whip up something with a bit more substance to it but with 'get a bit of steak into ya' and the other ridiculous statements that people who have made a massive social gaffe make to cover up their lack of consideration and respect for others. Make the one who is different feel bad, how welcoming that must feel.
I was horrified at the ignorance and the intolerance of these people. A guest in your home and you throw a few lettuce leaves and tomato at her, tell her to fill up on bread and then ridicule and embarrass her. The general consensus was that you were weird to have convictions that would clash with the majority.
Oh dear, I could feel my husband take a handful of my shirt just to remind me that he had my back (I lie, to remind me to curb my tongue) I lay back onto my husbands shoulder for strength and announced that a lettuce and tomato roll was just what I felt like too. Oooooh the glares. Surely they didnt expect me to back them up?
I'd like to say that my dear one didn't eat meat either but that would be expecting too much from him but I love that he knows me so well and knows my hatred of injustice and intolerance.
While they were all arguing and trying to justify their terrible manners I quietly went into the kitchen and toasted some bread, cut up some tomato, onion and basil (unfortunately dried not fresh) and made her and I a plate of bruschetta. It was so simple to do, I didn't do it to show anyone up, I did it because I was ashamed that these people were related to me and I couldn't sit there, it made me squirm with fury and embarassment.
Needless to say the guest has not eaten there since, she does meet them at restaurants (except when they go to a steak house) – I cringe on her behalf on these occasions as they ask her if she is still not eating meat.
Oh and I'm persona non grata for making our hosts look like the red neck, banjo picking, intolerant philistines that they are. Whooooo hooooo.
Bruschetta
Ingredients
- 8 thick slices day-old wood-fired bread
- 1 garlic clove, peeled, halved
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 ripe tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 cup basil
leaves, shredded
I also add finely diced Spanish onion to this dish for a bit more ooooomph.
Sounds so delicious!
ReplyDeleteSame thing happened to my daughter at a wedding. They brought her out a plate of shredded lettuce and tomato! (There had been arrangements made for vegetarian meals)
ReplyDeleteSo they have intolerant banjo-picking red necks in Australia too?
ReplyDeleteI love Bruschetta and can't wait till the tomatoes come on!
ReplyDelete