Whooooo hoooooo I've found another set of Laundry tubs. Close to my parents house and Dad, bless him, has offered to come and help Lig carry them to the truck. Bargain.
Ruby was left with Grandma after her disgraceful behaviour last week and we set off with high hopes of a 5 minute job.
Ruby was left with Grandma after her disgraceful behaviour last week and we set off with high hopes of a 5 minute job.
Imagine my dismay (and private amusement, I dare not laugh out loud here) when we rocked up to the address and looked up into the heavens at a house perched on a huge slab of sandstone about 30 metres high.
One of Dad's favourite sayings is 'there is no such thing as a 5 minute job'. Right again Dad!
What is it about these tubs? People seem to be storing them in the most inaccessible places they can find. This one is in the back yard which is so high up the cliff that we needed oxygen. This was not mentioned in the email conversation I had with the owner I might add. The only way down was via a perpenticular path 6 inches wide (I am not joking, the builder cut the path up with a saw so he could get the gas pipes in) that got us to the edge of the slab and then down 21 (yes I counted these too) steep stairs. Dad, Lig and I had a conference and decided that they would carry the tubs on the trolley we had brought for the occasion to the edge of the drop off with Lig in front holding the weight back and Dad wheeling. I was the anchor person holding the rope that was tied to the whole thing, a responsible position which is farcical really as I am prone to inappropriate laughing in serious situations. So if anything drastic happened I would be a useless chortling mess.
One of Dad's favourite sayings is 'there is no such thing as a 5 minute job'. Right again Dad!
What is it about these tubs? People seem to be storing them in the most inaccessible places they can find. This one is in the back yard which is so high up the cliff that we needed oxygen. This was not mentioned in the email conversation I had with the owner I might add. The only way down was via a perpenticular path 6 inches wide (I am not joking, the builder cut the path up with a saw so he could get the gas pipes in) that got us to the edge of the slab and then down 21 (yes I counted these too) steep stairs. Dad, Lig and I had a conference and decided that they would carry the tubs on the trolley we had brought for the occasion to the edge of the drop off with Lig in front holding the weight back and Dad wheeling. I was the anchor person holding the rope that was tied to the whole thing, a responsible position which is farcical really as I am prone to inappropriate laughing in serious situations. So if anything drastic happened I would be a useless chortling mess.
We got the tubs (did I mention these things weigh around 100 kilos?) without drama to the beginning of the steps but that is where we stalled. Lig went first then Dad gently pushed the tubs down the first step, ok, the second step, ok, the third step Dad ran out of manoeuvring room. The steps were so steep that he couldn't reach down and keep holding onto the handles of the trolley. They had to stop and take the trolley out, tie the rope to the tubs, lay the tubs on their side and slide them down the rest of the steps, all this and trying to keep their balance and the tub balanced on a staircase that makes a cliff walk look safe.
We all hung onto the rope for dear life and Lig (bless him) stood in front of those tubs like a Spartan facing the Persians. Thankfully we managed to slide them down to the front lawn with only a flesh wound to Ligs finger.
Looking back up to those steps from the street made me realise what a bunch of total idiots we are. But all's well that ends well. The tubs are safe, Lig still has all 8 fingers and I' m really going to have to make sure the next lot are relatively easy to get at.
This makes you wonder how someone got the darn things up at the start.I'm glad you had fun while you toiled. A sense of humor eases the tightest situations.
ReplyDelete