Sunday, December 23, 2012

Tomatoes

What is nicer than a home grown tomato?  Can anything else tantalise the tastebuds like a big juicy beefsteak tomato that has only known the gentle caress of organics? The answer of course is a resounding NO!
Those store bought tomatoes are a faded, jaded immitation of the real thing -  a disgrace to the tomato world. I would hang my head in shame if I produced as tastless an object as those that are for sale in our local supermarkets.  And what the hell do they do to them to make them so different from something grown right in our own gardens?  I think the answer is complicated but the bottom line I guess is that a lot of home grown veg are grown without chemicals.  I have been known to buy tomato plants from a nursery (not raised from seed that I have harvested) and even they taste better for having been grown organically.  

Breakfast this morning consisted of  4 tomatoes cooked up with mushrooms, eschallots, parsley and oregano served up on home made bread, toasted.  The only veg or herb I didnt grow myself was the mushrooms. This is the taste of summer, every day I am thankful that I have this garden and that I have the opportunity to work in it and am able to harvest and eat this fabulous fruit from it. A return to the simple things is like a tonic
I love to walk through the 'patch' and breathe in the combined heady scent of the tomato vines and basil plants. There are other things that soothe my soul but nothing gives me as much satisfaction, self worth and peace as working in the garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment