Thursday, December 27, 2012

We have a hatchling



Yes, the little dove chick has hatched. Now I dont want to be rude here but that thing is butt ugly.
He/she has a yellowish greenish down all over except on it's head which is a dark purpley blue. I actually recoiled from the nest when I saw it.  I'm sure I hurt it's feelings too but whew, that is one ugly chick.
I'm going to try to get a photo tomorrow. It's going to be hot so there is a good chance Mildred will leave the nest for a little while.


Mildred is quite devoted, which just goes to show that love is blind and sits there keeping him/her warm and cosy.  We had a cold snap yesterday down to about 17 C overnight so she had to snuggle up.  I'm wondering about Dad. We havent see the male about except to try to jump her bones as soon as she leaves the nest. I havent once seen him bring food or offer to clean the nest or mind junior.  That might be why she is in our yard, she knows that we'll help with the bills.

I have lifted my usual ban on feeding the birds with her on the nest because I can see she is doing it tough.  I sprinkle a little seed around the base of the tree so she can get to it easily.  Now the chick has hatched, I'll stop feeding her as she will have to start teaching it how to feed itself.  Cant let that welfare state of mind fester in the young!

On birds, we have been under seige from a yellow thornbill flock.  The first warning we get to close all windows and doors is a chit chit chit sound and then we are under attack.  We think they are attacking their reflection in our windows and doors and I have read that they are territorial to the extreme but reflections are not the only victims.  I had one caught in my hair this morning and only that I knew what it was it didn't get swatted.
It's hilarious watching too, the little things attacking their reflection in our car mirrors and the windscreen. I have tried to cover some of the things they have issues with but it's not possible to cover everything. The good thing is that we get to have a really close up look at a very timid little bird and they are not hurting themselves.
My neighbour is an avid birdwatcher and tells me that yellow thornbills havent been seen in our area for about 30 years. Its exciting to think that we are finally doing something right and encouraging back some of the species that have been absent from our suburb for a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment