Sunday, May 27, 2012

One down, three to go


I found one!!!  Ebay you rock.  A very nice gentleman in a nearby suburb has agreed to sell me his old tubs for $35.00.  We drove over in ‘the Truck’ yesterday with our Dawg Ruby to pick it up.

Hmmmmm, there was no driveway, we pulled up in a cul-de-sac outside the house we were directed to but there is nowhere to drive down to the house.  By down to the house I mean that literally.  The house was set on the down side of a cliff, there was a steep home made stair way winding down past 7 stepped retaining walls all made of the local sandstone (19 steps, yep counted them).  When you stood down on the level where the house was and looked back up to the street,  it was like looking up at a mountain.  My heart dropped at this sight as those sinks weigh a ton (well 100 kilos to be exact). 
The fella that met us at the door was tiny, at first sight I thought he was a jockey he was that small, and he told Lig, my hubby that no one was home and it was just the two of them.  EEEEEEEEEK.  Lig looked at me and I could feel a refusal coming on (I would have) but he went on out the back to check out the tubs.  Next thing the two of them are coming around the side carrying the tubs, already red in the face and making involuntary grunty noises.  I have to stop here and just say that Lig was a trouper, he risked a hernia or crushed extremities just for me. Awwwwwwww.
They got up about 3 steps and had to stop and rest, then another little bloke came out (from somewhere??) and rushed over to help them.
I have to stop here and describe to you just how little these two were.  Oompa loompa comes to mind; one was walking backwards up the steps; Lig was walking forwards taking most of the weight.  Lig was standing at the foot of the stairs and his helper practically had the tubs on his shoulder he was so short.  The fella at the front was still shorter than Lig when he was standing two steps up.  Hilarious.  I wish I had my camera. The grunts these two were making nearly did for me, I was choking back hilarity at every step as they could have given Maria Sharapova a run for her money.
It took the three of them 20 minutes to get to the top, by the time they pushed the tubs onto the truck I’m sure they would quite happily have dropped down on the spot.  To add insult to injury, Ruby decided to defend the truck and frightened the crap out of all of them.  Luckily she was inside and not on the tray and doubly luckily I managed to swallow a really big laugh.
As we drove away I figured that I’ll have to wait a week or two for my next one, I don’t think my scathingly brilliant idea is being appreciated at the moment.




BUT!!!!!  How much better does this look!! Scathingly brilliant idea indeed!!  A coat of paint and a row of bricks in the front and she'll be apples (actually she'll be chives and thyme).


No comments:

Post a Comment