Wednesday, February 27, 2013

I say.

As I get a bit longer in the tooth old sayings seem to suddenly make more and more sense to me.  A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush, only mad dogs and English men go out in the midday sun, every Ass loves to hear himself bray,  work ill done must be done twice.
I've always known what they meant but have never thought about them much and certainly never applied them to me.
But, as I said as I get older (and hopefully wiser) I notice that when stuff happens one of these old sayings just comes to mind, like I'm giving myself some comfort.  And the really disturbing thing is that it does make me feel better.
For example, getting long in the tooth. Why dont I just say 'older'. Because that's harsh that's why. Getting a bit long in the tooth implies age, does not bash you about the jowls, prop your eyes openwith matchsticks and force you over to a mirror the way saying' old' does.
The other day I was listening to a young male at work giving himself a huge pat on the back for something that was just his job, you would have thought he had invented the damn thing the way he was carrying on - every ass loves to hear himself bray - I thought. Eeeeeeeek what is happening to me? 
This morning, I'm getting ready to brave the humidity in the garden, I was going to compost the beds, dig up a few old plants, pull some weeds, the temp is a reasonable 29 - 30 degrees but the humidity is up around 95% today. I was going through what I needed to do in my mind and then ' only mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the midday sun' pops up into my head.  The weird thing is that I listened and went and did a couple of loads of washing, chopped up a load of vegetables and did some housework instead of going out and expiring from the heat.
OH MY GOD!!! Am I becoming sensible?  Maybe I read too much Anne of Green Gables in my youth, I'm transforming into Marilla Cuthbert.

1 comment:

  1. Ha! That's funny. Maybe there's some truth to those sayings!

    ReplyDelete