Wednesday, April 10, 2013

I for

I for ice blocks



Nothing like an icy cold ice block on a summer's day. A lot of Aussies from my era would remember Streets icy poles and Sunny Boys, Razz, Glugs and our favourite – Paddle Pops.



Mostly ice blocks were frozen cordial or frozen flavoured milk, our Mum's would make them for us as an after school treat or if you had pocket money you could go down to the corner store and buy a manufactured one.



We would all go to the shop and grab our favourite flavour out of the freezer and sit on the wall outside the Post Office to eat them. The trick was to eat it all before the sun melted them all over our hands and clothes.

Most of the time you could tell who loved what flavour by the colouring around our mouths and sometimes even down our necks. Raspberry, lime, orange, cola & lemon. I always loved lemon, it was nice and sour and left no tell tale signs of indulgence.



To this day I still love ice blocks, my preferred version now is the slushie – crushed ice with cordial hmmmmm. But I can't go for the new flavours and colours. Blue lemonaide – for crying out loud. Blue lips for hours & who wants to go around looking like they have just had a heart attack. When was the last time you saw a blue lemon? Aside from the mouldy one on the ground under the lemon tree.


1 comment:

  1. I love cold icy drinks on really hot days. I used to run out to the ice cream truck and buy a snow cone from them back when you could get one for .50 now they want to charge you triple that for it.

    Dark Thoughts Blog

    ReplyDelete