Sydney Harbour
I'm biased, I know it.
Sydney Harbour is the most beautiful
waterway in the world. Rio comes close but Sydney cannot be beaten.
It is a working Harbour. We use the
Harbour every day, ferries bring people to the Quay delivering them
to work. Water taxis flit around dropping business men or tourists
to their destinations, cruise ships anchor at Circular Quay or
Darling Harbour, tug boats bring in container ships, jet boats give
the tourists a thrill, Harbour cruises show people the hidden nooks
and crannys, private yachts cruise around and little tinnies sit in
the quiet bays with fishermen trying their luck.
Every single weekday I pass through
Circular Quay Station on the train and everyone looks up as we pull
in to have a look at the view of the Harbour. It is mesmorising, so
blue, alive with boats and ships, relaxing. I love it when we have
tourists on the train and their reaction to their first glimpse of
the water, the Opera House and the Harbour Bridge.
Whenever I fly into Sydney I strain for
a glimpse of the Harbour as we fly into the airport. I always feel
like I'm home when I see it.
Then there is the Sydney Harbour Bridge
(or the Coathanger as we like to call it)
Almost as iconic as the Opera House and
made even more famous by the mounting of fireworks on it at our New
Years Eve fireworks displays, The Bridge joins the southern &
northern shores of the Harbour. The surface of the Bridge hosts 7
lanes of traffic, 2 railway lines and 1 pedestrian walkway.
I could wax lyrical about the height,
weight length etc but I think just seeing it is amazing enough.
| Sydney Harbour Bridge |
| A Tug Boat puts on a water display |
| A farewell floatilla |
No comments:
Post a Comment