As I write this my state of New South
Wales is ablaze. 100's of 1000's of 1,000,000's of hectares of
bushland and farmland has been burnt and many more are threatened.
Each summer in Australia we have what
we call our 'bush fire season'. Every Australian, just about,
shudders every time we hear that a fire has started somewhere as the
cost to us is usually part of a National Park and the wild life that
resides there. Thanks to our wonderful volunteer & professional
firemen & woman we don't often hear about loss of life or
property or if we do it is because of their massive efforts and
experience that the loss is kept to a minimum.
This year however is one of those years
where the conditions have come together to form a very frightening
difference and the loss of life is a very real possibility.
We have had record high temperatures,
hot dry winds blowing in off the desert, plenty of rain over the
prior summer and winter and a complacent Governments who prefer to
'see how it goes' rather than prevent it altogether. All of this has
combined to form 'catastrophic' conditions for the first time in
over 10 years. Fire Storms.
Last night when I went to bed there
were 141 individual fires burning across the state, 45 of those were
out of control and 5 were heading toward settlements.
There were some that were deliberately
lit and while I know in my heart of hearts that they are usually
young kids I just want to make them sit there and watch their house
burn to the ground so they can know the full force of what they have
done, then jail them for life. I don't care if they are young and
made a stupid mistake, these types of fires are all consuming rivers
of heat and smoke. I cant describe the fear of being in one of these
fires, all I can say is that it is with you for life and every time
there is another fire it brings it all back.
In 1994 I watched a fire racing up the
ridge in front of my parents home in the southern suburbs of Sydney.
As the fire approached my father was up on the roof with a hose,
hosing down both his and the neighbour's houses, the smoke was so
thick and black that we couldn't see him. We could hear houses over
on the ridge exploding in the heat and we could smell the chemicals
in the air from plastic & metal burning. The fire had jumped a
river as if it were a stepping stone and had raced up the ravine in
seconds. The fire brigade had to drive about 10 kms to come around
to face it.
People were driving past our place with
the paint blistered on the bonnet, roof and boot of their cars, pets
and children tangled up together with their meagre possessions, fear
stamped into their faces.
Ash started to rain down on us and we
could finally see the flames 30 – 40 feet high, throwing themselves
from tree top to tree top. The HEAT. Indescribable heat came at us
in waves and then the smoke, thick, black.
Dad was telling us to get inside as he
could see that it was heading toward us, then miraculously, the wind
changed. A southerly change came through and blew the fire back on
itself and in moments the flames were gone.
We lost 1 person from our community and
80 homes that day. Every person that was outside and nearby lost
every hair on their body (unless you had a cap or hat) and there were
quite a few who had smoke inhalation or burns.
I know that most Aussies are praying
that our exhausted fire fighters are able to get these new fires
under control now because there is another heat wave coming tomorrow.
Your words brought back the memories of two bush fires I lived through. I just throught of the one in the late 70's in S.A. My husband was a voulenteer. He told me about cows burned in a field. Tears form at the recollection. The bull had rounded the cows into a corner and died trying to save them.
ReplyDelete