This happened this evening, I got lettuce, onion, carrots and of course tomatoes for a salad. I also found a zucchini that looked like it had been fed steroids which then changed the menu from fish and salad to zucchini & bacon slice and salad. I was fighting my way through the zucchini plants when I spied what looked to be a couple of advanced potato plants. Sure enough, a bit of digging provided 12 large desiree potatoes.Considering that I didn't plant potatoes this year. what a nice surprise.
So, now we are having zucchini, potato & bacon slice and salad.
The rhubarb is just enormous too. I have been cooking and freezing but I think it's time to start sharing with fellow devotees of this lovely plant. Not to everyone's taste is the rhubarb but to those of us who do eat it there is nothing better than mixing it up with some apples or pears or berries and baking a crumble.
I checked the dove nest today while Mildred was off getting a drink. The little fellow has doubled in size since my last visit, so that makes him/her doubly ugly. No feathers yet, the purple skin is barely covered by these yellowish/greenish spikes of the beginnings of feathers. It's eyes were open today and it was calmly staring at me with very bright, beautiful eyes. You can now tell that it is a dove, the body shape is very dove like along with the beak and head. Cant wait to see it learning to fly.
We had a very hot day today. 36
degrees, thankfully the humidity was low (around 40%) so it was
bearable outside. Gardening was out of the question, for me anyway,
so I took the opportunity to sit and enjoy the antics of the many
many birds that visit the birdbath each morning. I'll have to find
some more saucers for them if this heat keeps up.
I was going to plant some more tomatoes
and lettuce today but that can wait until tomorrow. The weather
bureau has promised that we will get a southerly change sometime
tonight that will bring some much longed for rain and much cooler
temps. Planting tomorrow I think.
Oh, for some heat here in England. My legs are decidedly chilly, sitting here at the computer even though the heating is turned on. I need excercise--I need to go out and pick some vegetables for you. Of course, for that I'd need a new body. Maybe I'll wait for my next life. Then, I won't leave Australia at all but will spend all my days feeling sunny and bright.
ReplyDeleteHi Francene, Happy New Year,
DeleteI had heard that it was a bit chilly up there this winter. I'll try to get some photos of the sky for you so you can at least, dream that you are here.
It has been pretty hot the last couple of weeks and with more to come I am dreading it. Humidity and I are not the best of friends, I find it drains all my energy consequently I do hang out for our southerly changes.
If you ever get down this way I'll save some veggies for you to pick and will even cook them up for you. My garden is very friendly toward bodies that have a few wear and tear problems, I have arthritis in both knees and my spine & I need to have raised beds and a reasonably light work load, so I'm sure you would have no trouble getting around in it.